Thursday, January 8, 2015

A Wedding: as told by the Matron of Honor

Wow! It's been busy for sure these last few months. In August, my best friend of 16 years got married. Sweet and Sugar were asked to be flower girls...I was the Matron-of-Honor. A title I worked at for over 15 years to earn. You might remember the Monograms and Margaritas Bridal Shower I threw back in February for the Chick Pea, that was the first of many celebrations for the couple. We attended 2 of their 5 showers (mainly because of location differences). The bride asked if More Peas, Please would do some things for the wedding - of course we did! Below you will find a few photos of the work we did for the wedding along with the photos of my girls. It was truly a blessing to be a part of such an event and an amazing celebration.

From my perspective, there was a lot to do that a lot of MOH's don't know about. My job was a little different due to the fact that I had children that were in the wedding. To put it into bullet points would be imaginable because not every MOH will have the same integrity or values as I do. That being said, there's one thing that you should understand of being a bridesmaid, MOH, or even the parents of the flower girl: You were asked to be apart of a very special day - it is not about you, your needs or your wants. Ever. Don't give out more information than need be. If you checked the app and it says it's going to rain, don't tell the bride. Tell the pastor. If grandma is missing, don't tell the bride. Find the Mother and tell her - or go find grandma and tell the bride that you have to go to the restroom. If the flower girl picks apart the flower ball to give flowers out to the guests, just laugh and say you're grateful that she's giving. Those are not the things that the couple needs to deal with.

Here's the classic dress hanging up before we put our dresses on (this is my dress, Sweet and Sugar's dresses)

We had previously discussed her family doing a Something old, new, borrowed and blue, but knew that they probably wouldn't, so I did it for her. Something Old: We had our BFF music CD from 2000 (I believe that was the year I got in trouble and couldn't go to homecoming, so she came over instead of going as well and we made the CD). I put the music on a playlist in my phone and we listened to it before we left the hotel. Something New: I got her a new necklace with her First initial "L". Something Blue: I found a card I had gotten when I married my husband (10 years ago) about how to pray for your husband. I shrunk it down so it was manageable. Something borrowed: My wedding ring from the day I married my husband.


The Michigan Shaped table numbers and the back were all done by More Peas. These were the exact shape and style for the invites to the rehearsal dinner. The wedding colors were purple and green so the state was purple and the little heart was green (over Detroit where they got married).


These were the Table Assignment cards we did. These were then stuck to a giant mirror that the bride found on craigslist! Each table assignment is double backed in Purple and Green with matching purple type.


There were so many other things that we did and don't have photos to, but you can find a lot of product photos on our Facebook.

The more fun aspects of the wedding included a bunch of "usies"; Sweet and Sugar were dancing a lot and playing the band's instruments; I had to give a speech that I knew if I looked at the bride I would cry...and I did; the girls were waiting so much to see the bride - it was like a character meal at Disney! Here's my family! The headbands all of the flower girls wore are by My Props Rock (and yes, she rocks)! I felt so glamorous. False eyelashes, fake tan, hair all done...mommy's don't get to do that often!

The girls playing WITH the band...


We are just missing the 3 flower girls and the ring bearer here...but for 20 people, this is amazing!


I cannot stress enough how much being apart of something like this means. We were blessed beyond belief to be there at the beginning of something that meant so much to two people. The girls love their auntie and miss her all of the time. Once my mom moves here, we probably won't see much of her, but thank God for Facebook! That's our saving grace of knowing what's going on. 

As a Matron of Honor, I learned that having an "in" with friends is part of being able to help. If it wasn't for my friends' support (that have businesses), the details wouldn't have been there. It is truly a blessing to have people in my life that help out just as we help others! Thank you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment